Friday, February 6, 2009

Product Review: Simply Organic Carrot Cake Mix



Oh my goodness - I've died and gone to carrot cake heaven! WOW! I bought this mix for my husband's birthday and thought it would probably be just another mediocre cake mix. I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the taste and texture of this cake. I could not believe it was gluten free.


Probably the most difficult aspect of making this cake is grating all the carrots - we used organic carrots that were still attached to the tops, but being small in size was what hindered our progress. It took us about an hour to grate 1 cup of carrots! If you have a salad shooter, I HIGHLY recommend using it instead of grating by hand.


I was lucky enough to be able to use a real cream cheese frosting recipe with Philadelphia Cream Cheese, and the outcome was just phenomenal. (There are several dairy free recipies available on the net if you need to Google a frosting recipe, though.) The cake was tender, generously spiced with cinammon, and moist from the carrots. I used the lower cooking time and it came out perfectly - I recommend starting to watch it once it hits the 45 minute mark.

We had to leave nuts out due to our son's allergies, but even without, this cake garnered a "WOW!" from my husband, who normally isn't so vocal about my gluten-free cakes. THAT is high praise. I already have a well-favored banana bread recipe, but now I am eager to try Simply Organic's Banana Bread Mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment