Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Product Review: Ian's French Toast Sticks



As much as I want to love this product, it just doesn't do it for me. I used a microwave instead of the oven, cooking it for 3 minutes at 50% power. I figured that since we use the same time for our turkey sausages, that it would probably make this ok. The box suggests oven cooking only, but cooking it in the microwave at the reduced power did not yield a rubbery result - it was just fine texture-wise.

Now, the taste... that's another thing entirely. I was expecting at least a little bit of cinammon flavor, but it really had none. I even added a little bit of butter and my own cinammon-sugar mixture, and it STILL tasted bland. I think maybe the only thing that could save this would be to use maple syrup, and even that is a stretch.

This is really disappointing, because normally Ian's has really good products. But this time, they really missed the mark. The flavoring needs to be more intense - more cinammon, for sure - to bring it up to snuff.

That said, I'd be willing to try it again, and this time maybe use the syrup. If your child does not like strong flavors, this definitely does not have anything in it to offend.

No comments:

Post a Comment