Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Recipe: Mama B's Mac & Cheese

My beloved grandmother, who passed in March of 2008, left to all the grandkids a cookbook of all of her favorite recipes. She meant to have this cookbook published many years ago, and I promised I would get it done for her, but the cost was always too prohibitive. I never got a chance to tell her before she passed that I WILL keep my promise!


This recipe has been altered from her original version to accommodate the gluten free diet I currently have to follow. I have included the dairy products, but they can be exchanged for soy milk and soy cheese or any other dairy alternative that suits you. If using an alternative cheese, just make sure it has melting ability (some don't) or this recipe will not turn out well!


Mama B's Mac & Cheese


1 pkg Tinkyada Rice Pasta Macaroni Elbows


2 Tbsp. butter


1 Tbsp cornstarch


1 tsp prepared mustard


1/2 tsp salt


Dash pepper


1 cup milk


1 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese


Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set in large bowl. Melt butter in a small pot over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in cornstarch, mustard, salt, pepper and milk. Return to low heat, gently stirring and cooking until thickened. Add cheese and continue cooking and stirring until cheese is melted. Pour cheese over pasta, stir and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment