Monday, January 19, 2009

Product Review: Glutino Gluten-Free Cinnamon French Toast

Not for a quick weekday breakfast! Save these for the weekend when you have time to play around with them. (the cooking instructions have these babies going into the oven at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes - but trust me, you'll probably want a bit more time)


The first thing it suggests is putting them on a tray with parchment paper, but I used aluminum foil with the same effect. Beware, they WILL stick. Maybe next time I'll spray the foil with Pam! These have your typical rice bread as part of the equation - short, dense and heavy. There is no overwhelming cinammon scent, a la Cinnabon, but then again, I wasn't really expecting that. They still smelled good right out of the box - a bonus if ever there was one. They appeared to be "glazed", but I don't know what with. It almost looked like ice, but it did not disappear after baking. On their own they were tasty, but my son and I wanted a bigger hit of cinnamon. If I had to eat them "plain" I definitely wouldn't like them as much - they are too weakly flavored for that.


I personally prepared these by baking for 10 minutes, flipped them over, added Earth Balance butter to one side and sprinkled our own cinnamon/sugar blend over the top. We then baked for two minutes longer. This way, the edges came out a bit crispier just like homemade pan-fried french toast, with a softer, denser center.


I would love to see these come with a dairy free cinammon butter - that would make them over the top. Definitely worth a try if you are craving a sweet, cinnamon treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment