Sunday, January 11, 2009

Excellent Recipe & Product Sources

One of the best things to have in the gluten free chef's pantry is a plethora of recipes to choose from. I recently found, and completely fell in love with, www.glutenfreeda.com. There are so many recipes there that I have yet to try, but after I tried the first one, I knew I'd be back for more. They also use the same Gluten Free Pantry French Bread and Pizza Mix as a 1-for-1 substitute that I use in most of my recipes, so I knew I was on the right track there.


Carol Fenster, Ph.D., has two of the best cookbooks you can buy: 1000 Gluten Free Recipes and Gluten Free Quick and Easy. If you buy no other books besides these two, you will be in good shape! Check Amazon.com for both books. I have a HUGE collection of gluten free cookbooks, and can name on one hand the number I actually use on a consistent basis.


You can buy a lot of your supplies from www.glutenfree.com, www.allergygrocer.com or from www.glutenfreemall.com if shopping online; or Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Trader Joes if shopping at a specialty store. Many regional/national grocers now also have organic and natural foods aisles, and it is becoming increasingly easier to buy products at Vons, Safeway, Albertsons, etc. Another fantastic thing to get your hands on is a publication called Living Without Magazine, found at www.livingwithout.com. You will find recipies, product information, support and much more. Well worth the price for this one!


Don't forget one very important thing - fruits, vegetables, meats and rice in their pure and natural form never have gluten or dairy. Don't be afraid to experiment! My son now loves to shop for fruit. Especially if we can wash them as soon as we get home and arrange them on a fruit plate. We put blueberries, strawberries and pineapple on our very first one, and he's been asking for them ever since. And in our (very) humble opinions, yes, organic DOES taste better.

No comments:

Post a Comment