Monday, January 12, 2009

Product Review: Kinnikinnick Robin's Honey Brown Rice Bread

Boy, was I sucker punched by this one. After reading all the hype about how good Kinnikinnick products are, I found some at Whole Foods to try. One of the most difficult things when dealing with the gluten free diet is keeping our sliced bread frozen. Having to toast it first when fixing a sandwich is not usually what I want to do, but alas, it's one of the things we have to put up with. But I digress...


I toasted the bread, and it smelled just fine while it was toasting, but when I took that first bite, it was like an explosion in the mouth – and not in a good way. It was greasy and gritty, and tasted like sand. I'm not sure if I got a hold of an older loaf or if it just wasn't for me, but it left such a bad taste in my mouth after that first bite I threw away the whole sandwich. Considering the cost of pre-made gluten free breads, believe me when I say it HURTS to do that.


I had high hopes for this bread, especially after reading glowing reviews from others on Kinnikinnick's website. I also tried their Tapioca Rice New York Style Plain Bagels. They had a funny smell, but taste and texture was similar enough to a regular bagel that I'd be willing to try it again. I tried it microwaved first (wrapped with a slightly damp paper towel) to mimic a fresh baked bagel. Next time, I'll try using the toaster and see if it comes out any better.
I hear fabulous reviews about their fresh doughnuts, so if anyone else has tried those yet, feel free to post your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment