Monday, January 4, 2010

Product Review: Blue Horizon Natural Albacore Tuna Bites

These were in the frozen fish section of my local Whole Foods. Proudly displayed as gluten/wheat free. When reading the information, I see it touted as Albacore Tuna Appetizers with Sweet Chili and Ginger. So I'm thinking to myself, sweet chili... hmmm... is that the same as spicy hot, burn your mouth chilis? When I checked the ingredient list, the sweet chili seemed innocent enough... but oh how I misjudged.
First let me say - use the oven method of heating and NOT the microwave. You will be sorely disappointed if you end up with soggy, greasy little lumps of tuna. It really is worth the extra time to put them in the oven.
Biting into these, at first it was screaming hot because of the heat. Do give them time to cool off! After a minute or two, your tastebuds register those chilis - and they are not the sweet, innocent little chilis! They are spicy hot chilis. Luckily I had a cold iced tea next to me, otherwise my mouth might still be on fire.
It's hard to taste the ginger when all you taste are chilis, so that being said, I think they would be well advised to back off on the amount of chilis in this delicate little appetizer. Too much is overpowering and takes away from the true flavor of the tuna. The bites are tender, and the canola oil provides a lot of moisture - so again, avoid the microwave.
There is a Fish & Chip Bites available made with just potato flakes as the breading, but we only bought this one this outing due to the cost of these. ($6 each for 12 small appetizers) The Blue Horizon Natural website also shows Crab and Salmon Bites being available as well.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you thought the bites were too spicy for your taste. Give us a call at Blue Horizon 831-685-1648 ext 2 and we'll get you some coupons to use to try our other products

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first bite brought tears to my eyes, I was not expecting them to be so spicy! But I did eat all of them, they were delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete