Friday, September 18, 2009

Product Review: Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownie Mix

This is part II of the Betty Crocker mixes that I started a few days ago. The previous devil's food cupcakes were practically inhaled by my family, so I found myself making the brownies a bit sooner than I had anticipated!

The instructions for the brownies are exceedingly simple - melt some butter, add two eggs and the brownie mix, and stir it up. It was really thick, but then, the box said it would be. I had to spread it into a larger pan than I originally wanted, so I cut the cooking time back a bit to avoid overcooking.

These smelled AWESOME while baking. Always a good sign! They looked great when I took them out of the oven - the tops were crackly, the edges looked crisp.

And then there's the taste... HOLY COW THESE ARE GOOD! The Gluten Free Gods are smiling over Betty Crocker right now. I thought it impossible to make these just like my grandmother's, but somehow, they've done it. These are chewy, RICH, brownies. The chocolate chips add a little extra richness, but not to the point of being overdone. I imagine I can now recreate the "Chocolate Thunder from Down Under" dessert that The Outback restaurant is famous for - with a product that tastes like the real thing.

I will most definitely be buying some more of these products. I sincerely hope this isn't a "fad" to the folks at General Mills and that they continue to expand this line for the gluten free community. I personally would love to see muffin and bread mixes come next - I've been dying for a good blueberry muffin! GM - are you listening?

Allergen warning - dairy and eggs.

2 comments:

  1. I've also tried these, they are amazing! Try putting a broken up dark chocolate bar into the mix and some frozen raspberries as well

    ReplyDelete